Required Immunizations: Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps and Rubella

The Illinois College Student Immunization Code requires that all students entering a post-secondary institution in the State of Illinois must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria and tetanus within one semester of enrollment to prevent the introduction and spread of these diseases among students and to prevent their spread into the surrounding community. This handout discusses how to comply with the Act.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella

You are considered IMMUNE to measles, mumps and rubella if you can provide a certificate of immunity, signed by a healthcare professional of either:

You are considered SUSCEPTIBLE if:

Tetanus and Diphtheria

The Illinois College Immunization Code has different requirements for domestic and international students. The University of Illinois interprets the code depending upon the admission status as either a domestic or international student.

Serologic tests (antibody titers) are not acceptable evidence of immunity against either tetanus or diphtheria.

Exemptions from the Illinois College Student Code

The Code permits exemption from one or more requirements under the following circumstances:

Commonly Asked Questions About The College Student Immunization Code:

1. What are the consequences of not complying with the Act?

If you do not fulfill the requirements of the Code, then the Code requires that the University must prevent you from enrolling in subsequent semesters. At approximately halfway into their first semesters, students who are not in compliance will have an immunization hold placed. An immunization hold prevents enrolling in future classes, adding or dropping classes.

2. I do not have records of all of my shots. What are my options?

Here are a number of options that might be helpful to you.

3. How should my immunization record be signed by my healthcare provider? Who can serve as a health care provider?

The Code requires the name, signature, and telephone number of the health care provider. A health care provider can be a physician fully licensed to practice, the local health authority, a registered nurse employed by a school, college, or university, or an Illinois Department of Public Health-recognized vaccine provider.

4. If I cannot obtain a copy of my immunization records, should I either make up or pay someone else to make up a fake immunization record?

No. Providing false information is a violation of the University of Illinois Code Of Conduct. Violations can result in discipline. You should get revaccinated if you do not have sufficient records.

5. Why does Illinois have an immunization code and why are there different requirements for domestic and international students?

Four of the five vaccine-preventable diseases covered by the Code can easily spread from person to person in school settings and spread into the local community, and cause serious illness or death. There are different requirements for domestic and international students because different countries have different immunization requirements.

6. Are there other vaccinations that university students should have?

Yes. Though there is neither state law nor university requirement to have them, all college students should be immunized against hepatitis B and polio. All university freshmen should be vaccinated against meningococcal disease. All women should be vaccinated against human papilloma virus (HPV.) At least one of adult tetanus/diphtheria shots should include additional protection against pertussis.