Your Visit to the Laboratory and Laboratory Results
All lab visits require a requisition from a provider.
Fasting blood tests
- Fasting indicates nothing to eat or drink but water for at least 10 hours prior to your tests. You may take prescription medications, if necessary. Some tests may require fasting for 14 hours; your provider or the Lab staff will inform you of this.
- Being well hydrated is especially helpful for patients who have difficult or small veins, or for those who may be asked to collect a urine sample.
Concerning your lab results
- Your provider must analyze your test results, along with your health history and pertinent information obtained during your office visit.
- All test results are available through the Patient Test Results (PTR) system - your provider's office staff will provide you with the necessary PTR information.
- If you are anxious about your results, call the office nurse, whose number appears on the PTR form. The Laboratory staff is not authorized to release or interpret your results.
Your provider must evaluate your test results
- Most routine test results are completed daily in our laboratory. Others are done on designated days. Reports are then sent to your provider for evaluation.
- Results of some tests sent to other laboratories may take several days or possibly weeks, to return to your provider for evaluation.
- Most tests that are printed on your requisition form are performed in our Lab.
Location of other McKinley Units
- Radiology - (for X-ray, ECGs, or hearing tests) - Across our lobby, east of the lab office.
- Pharmacy - (for filling prescriptions) - First floor, southeast side of building.
- Medical Records - Lower level, east side of building. Take stairs, which are to the left of the main north entrance, as you enter McKinley.